Location: Camp Hill, PA
COO / Principal-in-Charge
The Senior Project Manager is the point person for the firm’s contact with the client and the public. The SPM guides and coordinates all disciplines with outside consultants, vendors, and the end-user. Responsible for fees and the profitability of a project. On larger projects, the SPM may or may not be involved directly in the design. The SPM should have a basic understanding of what the other disciplines do and what they require. On a smaller project or single discipline projects, the SPM may be the Project Engineer. May also serve as Principal-in-Charge on certain projects.
Selects system and prepares basis of design. Prepares and directs work for engineers, designers, or CADD personnel. Hold team meetings as required, coordinating design development and deliverable presentation for the project and ensuring everyone is on track. Executes QC and coordinates QA.
Maintains schedules and coordinates activities with the client and the supporting cast. Coordinates staff scheduling within the firm to ensure appropriate assignment of staff to projects at the right time considering all the goals of the firm.
Reviews billing for project marks up and gives to the accounts manager. Shares cost and profitability data with the team so they know where they are. Prepares overall project schedules and advances schedule as work is complete. Determines and implements corrective action when schedule slippage is identified. Manages changes of scope and requests additional fees; makes contract modification recommendations to the Principal-in-Charge.
Coordinates construction observation visits. Coordinates closeout of the project file and closeout of the project.
Participates in marketing for projects. Identifies potential clients (Leads) and potential projects (Opportunities). Assists in maintaining the marketing materials of the firm. Participates in firm introductions and interviews.
Assists in the preparation of SOI’s, Technical, and Price Proposals in response to RFP’s, advertisements, and solicitations. Receives input for each Project Engineer for the disciplines involved. Prepares and leads interview presentations when required.
Assists VP/SVP and Office Manager in day-to-day operation of the office. Approves invoices, timesheets, and expense reports in the absence of the VP/SVP. Assists in the development of Office budget and its execution. Assists in setting technology direction for the Office.
Education / Experience:
- BSCE (MSCE a plus) in Civil Engineering with Transportation emphasis
- Currently a Senior Project Engineer or Project Manager with 7 to 12+ years of progressive experience in transportation design, leadership, and supervisory experience.
- Pennsylvania and/or Maryland Professional Engineering License required (or ability to obtain such through the reciprocity process within six months).
- Experience working with and managing projects for PennDOT, PTC or similar Pennsylvania agency is required.
- Experience working with and managing projects for Maryland jurisdictions (MDOT agencies, MD Counties, MD Municipalities, etc.) is highly desired.
- Experience with design/build projects is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The ideal candidate would have a proven successful track record on highway design projects, including managing sub-consultants and simultaneous tasks on multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Proficiency with MicroStation, InRoads and/or OpenRoads, and other similar industry design software required.
- Technical proficiency in geometric design, stormwater management, and conventional drainage design using current standards, specifications, and methods for highway, roadway, sidewalk, and trail projects.
- Exposure to complex highway design projects preferred, with knowledge of structural/bridge design, a plus.
- Knowledge of permitting requirements and soil erosion and sediment control standards in Pennsylvania and Maryland is desired.
- Experience with environmental permit process, including Stormwater Management design and permitting desired.
- Attention to detail and mindful of critical role of the QA/QC process.
- Affiliations with Professional Engineering Organizations are desired.
- Familiarity with project management software (ECMS, Deltek Open Plan, etc).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Applications.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists HR, Marketing, and Accounting functions in the development, maintenance, and deployment of computer-based systems (Deltek).
- Acts on behalf of the VP/SVP, with input from other officers of the firm, in the absence of the VP/SVP.
C C Johnson & Malhotra, P.C.
Attn: G. Joseph
9210 Corporate Blvd, Suite 370
Rockville, MD 20850
Fax: (240) 683-6650